Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Coupled Start

I finally get to celebrate the opening of this new blog after a few days of sleepless nights and infinite workloads. I always wanted to set up a blog to share the things I learned and interesting stuff I see around me, but another side of me keep telling me that I don't have the time. Well, obviously the latter won the struggle that has been going on in my head until now.

So why would I change my mind? Is it because of a reduced commitment for my other various interests? Clearly that won't be the case if my workload just simply doubled this semester.

This blog was supposed to be one of the assignments of a module I took this semester, called "Professional Communication". The module requires all students to post a blog post once every two weeks on a specific topic and also comment on the posts of my fellow classmates. However, to me, this is not just about assignments of a module, but an opportunity for me to start what I long wished to do. So I decided I will not just use this blog to fulfill the assignment requirement of the module (that will be such a wastage to the blog), but also to share my learning journey and interesting stuffs that catches my eyes.

So this is why I decided to title my first ever post in this blog "A Coupled Start".

Nonetheless, I am supposed to post my first post on "Effective Communication Skills". I think I should better start-off by "Why I took up this module?".

I am a person who involves heavily (and enjoyed) in many social and student activities. These activities requires a high level of communication in many instances, especially when we can only discuss and hold meetings online. And to be frank, I am extremely bad when it comes to communicating, especially to a large group or when I have to communicate professionally. There was once when I somehow came up with a badly written email which results in an almost complete chaotic event.

Yes, I have always wanted to improve my professional communication skills, in which I viewed it as the most important skill that you need to master in order to survive and thrive in the society. And I can't belief that I just found out what I want is all offered in this one single module: email writing, resumes, professional letters, interpersonal communication techniques, the platform for trial and errors, and many more! Don't even mention the professional guidance from the tutors and the peer-learning experience.

I have attended two sessions so far and they are amazing! The only downside to it is that the classes are at eight in the morning. For a nocturnal species like me that works most effectively when the sun is down and go to sleep when the sun start rising, that is definitely a huge challenge.

Next Monday will be an anticipated day for my group, as we are going to start our peer-teaching session on "Effective resumes, application letters and personal statement". Really looking forward to that day, and of course, this whole wonderful learning journey!

28 August 2010 (23:52, Singapore)

No comments:

Post a Comment