Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Reflection on The Course

The semesters in NUS are extremely short. After thirteen weeks, we are now in the end of the semester, leaving only the final exams awaiting us.

This blog post will signify the end of the professional communication course I took this semester. However, there is still a long way for me to learn and improve on my communication skills.

At first, I did not expect the course to be in a general perspective, I was expecting more of a detailed and specific course, similar to ES2002 Business Communication. However, by starting from a broad and general view of different communication skills gives me a different perspective and insight into what I originally know about communication skills, allowing me to work on certain fields I can improve on in a more organized and systematic approach.

One of the most important lesson I learnt in this course is to know myself better from the eyes of others. One can only know a limited amount about thyself, but with the feedback of others, one can easily identify problems which he/she never noticed and improve on an accelerated rate. This course has given me the opportunity of working and interacting with different people, and also their feedback on my performances. The most insightful part of the course is when I was going through each of my classmates comments and feedbacks, with every comment shedding new light into my thoughts. However, this opportunity is not easily available everywhere, especially when one goes into the working place. It will be a challenge to make use each of this opportunity in the future and build up on it.

Besides that, the resume and application letter writing as well as the interview are also considered one of the best lesson learnt from this course. I would still be clueless if I had not participate and tried them. And this is certainly an area where I could and must improve on. The presentation section provides an extremely good platform for me to improve on my presentation skills, and to grasp the key technique in switching presentation styles in different situation. And most importantly, we get to share our different views on certain issues or stuff, and to think how others think. And of course, all of this could not have been possible without the professional guidance of our tutor, Ms. Lim.

Until now, I still find myself having a hard time trying to communicate via online platforms such as blogging. Trying to find the words and arrange them to express what is going in my head proves a challenge for me. Is there a more efficient way of improving on this besides more practises? Well, that is definitely one of the important things that I can work on for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment